Re: [Banshee-List] GSoC idea, finding duplicates

see below

On 13 March 2012 07:15, Samuel Gyger <samuel gyger at> wrote:
> There is a similar Addon already in the Extension Repository, but…

snip

>> So I have a fairly large music collection with about 22,000 songs.
>> However, I have LPs, EPs, and Greatest Hits albums for many artists.
>> This causes a lot of duplicate songs in my library, and with so many
>> songs it's very hard to check manually.
> For me there is always a problem that I also like to have complete
> Albums, I've for example part of the discography of Johnny Cash and
> there are a lot of duplicates over the years, but some a rerecording
> etc. and some are even the same, but an album with a missing track
> (after deleting duplicates) is also a little bit a problem. I don't
> know if there is a way to solve this, or storage space is just to
> cheap nowadays and don't care about this.
> But what really makes me crazy is that if I add a song a second time
> to the ipod it's copied there a second time, even if it's exactly the
> same. At least this happens all the time at my ipod. This would be
> something to tackle, but it's a bug and not whole gsoc project.

My experience is that there are rarely real duplicates, that is same
audio fingerprint and same meta. Only in this case I would consider
deleting the file.
On Linux you could hardlink same files in different albums. Again the
'great rock hits' sampler might not use the same track length than the
original album.

I have multiple live concerts of the same band and while on one
performance track A was great it was track B or C on another
performance. All have the same Artist and Title but are totally
different in terms of Album, Date, Size/Length, Quality.

I would love to have a feature that combines all same tracks in a way
that Banshee will play always my most favorite version (e.g. the one
from the live album where the drum solo is included). When searching
for the track I get only the one as a result BUT I could 'open the
versions up' if I want to listen to another version.

>> The simplest, and fastest, is by checking
>> things such as artist name, song title, and song length.
> This is done by the extension at the current state, although not
> always satisfying.

can you tell the name? must have missed this one in the past.