Re: [Banshee-List] GSoC idea, finding duplicates

On 13/03/2012 23:54, Diego Fernandez wrote:
> [...]
> That's a shame.  I'd really like to work on this, as I believe that
> fingerprinting can bring a huge benefit to both Banshee and the music
> world in general.  I'd really like to hear back from possible mentors
> to discuss the possibility of this project.  I feel like if I were
> accepted and successful, there would be a lot of work I could continue
> to do with fingerprinting and Banshee.

Where fingerprinting's concerned, we've got lastfmfpbridge, don't we? It's an
open source library by Last.fm for fingerprinting audio and searching for tags
online, and integrated into Banshee via the Banshee.LastfmFingerprint extension
present in Banshee Community Extensions.

While we're talking about audio de-duplication, I think something worth
considering is also finding duplicate songs released in multiple albums and
storing them efficiently (symlinks or hardlinks?) This would probably need some
non-standard way of storing multiple values for the Album field, though.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin