Re: [Banshee-List] Native file open dialogs, feedback needed

On 17/07/2012 05:30, Andres G. Aragoneses wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Then finally, using native file dialogs would be our first step away
>> from using GTK for all UI stuff, and towards having platform specific
>> UI. But maybe that's just me being old and afraid of change :)

While it might be possible to theme Gtk+ to look somewhat native, the file
dialog is going to end up sticking out like a sore thumb if we don't use native
file dialogs.

This is true for things like Qt applications (e.g. LyX) running in a GNOME
environment with QGtkStyle as well. They look almost native, but their file
dialogs stand out.

>> So I'd be happy to hear more about this, and maybe be convinced to
>> change my mind...
>
> I concur with this point of view.
>
> I think moving to platform specific UI is not a bad move, just that seems too
> large for the size of our community right now. And having a mixed thing doesn't
> sound very very consistent (I would go for either "all" or "nothing").
>
> And if some day we go for the "all", wouldn't it make more sense to use a
> library that abstracts the UI instead of abstracting it ourselves? (Think XWT)

I don't know about XWT, but it sounds a lot like WxWidgets for C#, and my
experience with WxWidgets-using applications tells me that they look ugly and
behave differently from native Gtk+ applications, even though it uses a Gtk+
backend on Linux.

Then consider that the vast majority of Banshee's users are on Linux. Unless
you're absolutely sure that the look-and-feel is going to be identical to the
current Gtk+ look-and-feel, please don't stray down this path.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin