Re: [Banshee-List] video patch database model

2012/1/25 olivier dufour <olivier duff gmail com>:
> Hi,
>
> Long time I have not work on video patch but I want to work on it again and
> first thing to do before review is to know if the database model is the
> right one to use.
>
> So this message is moslty for maintainer/advanced developper to get advice
> and know if my database model is right.
> I extend the track info by doing my own video table
> with [CoreTracks.ExternalID = Videos.VideoID] to link it.
> 1) Do you think that I must get back some data by using some free field in
> coreTrack not used in video.
> 2) Does Using the coreTrack.ExternalId to extend the track with an external
> record the right way or you prefer that I let it free and just store in
> Video.videoId the coretrack.TrackID ?
> 3) to avoid to do an season table and a tv show table I reuse the video
> table and link episode - season - tv show with parentId. I do that because
> season/tv show need quite same data than an episode. I use video type to
> know type (episode, season, tv show, movie) Is it ok or do you prefer that I
> add a episodeId and seasonId field and make 2 other tables (season and tv
> show) ?

Not at all an expert but it seems more correct to me to have separate
tables for season and episode. I fear that it might make the code
harder to figure out if you have to figure out if an episodeid or a
seasonid is being extracted at a given point.

I don't know how SeriesFinale (an application for the N900) does this
but it can give me the air date for upcoming episodes as well as
indication if a series is cancelled. I'd love to have something
similar in Banshee.

Regardless, I am happy to hear that you are back on the Video patch.

- David