Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee extension questions

Hi,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. My answers below.

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:09 PM, Maurus Cuelenaere
<mcuelenaere gmail com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working on creating a Google Music plugin for Banshee (see
> [1]).
>
> I have a couple of questions:
>
>  * The GUI doesn't seem to completely work, I'm guessing this is due to me
> extending Source and not DatabaseSource/PrimarySource? If not, any hints on
> what I'm doing wrong?

What do you mean by "not completely work" ?
Extending the source class should be enough for what you're doing
(using a MemoryTrackListModel). You can look at the Last.fm radio
extension for an example of doing something similar. It's in the main
source repo, in src/Extensions/Banshee.LastfmStreaming/

>  * Google Music provides URLs for cover art, however TrackInfo uses
> ArtworkId. Is there some kind of "ArtworkManager" (CoverArtSpec?) where I
> should register objects?

I think you should download the image and save it in the right place.
See how it's done in the MetadataServiceJob class.
I wonder if it would be worth it to add a Metadata provider for Google
Music, to get cover art from there, like we already do with Last.fm or
MusicBrainz.

>  * Is there any documentation on the internals of Banshee? Currently, I'm
> just looking at the git repository and copy/modify other extensions' code.

No, there isn't any proper documentation for developers.

I'd suggest you look into the "Banshee Community Extensions" project
on Gitorious :
https://gitorious.org/banshee-community-extensions/

If you add your extension in there, it'll be much easier for you, as
all the build infrastructure is already there. And it'll be easier for
packagers to make your extension available on various distros.
Just clone the repo on gitorious and add your extension in the tree.
When it's ready, just give me your gitorious id, I'll merge your work
in the main repo and give you commit access there.

--
Bertrand Lorentz