Re: [Banshee-List] A song and dance about GSoC 2012

2012/2/7 olivier dufour <olivier duff gmail com>:
> The bof is really a great document but not sure that data is up to date.
> Some taks are finished and some are not applicable (Gobject introspection
> have a lot of GIR Parser (andrea, mike and alan have create a such tool) but
> none is used currently because it will bring regression because the current
> parser is better than gir file).

I am aware of this, however I have no write access to update it to
reflect a more current state.

The issues with gir are well known, it is though the direction GNOME
is going and with it GStreamer and friends. It seems that upstream gir
are fairly unwilling to consider the needs of .NET/Java/Vala and so
on.   Some kind of clusterfuck is likely to come from this.

I've seen Mono catch a lot of blame and badmouthing for not using gir,
it might be good if we could get a post out explaining the exact
problems and upstreams status on this issues.

> Mono.Upnp and Mono.DBus need some work before release.
> I know that there is some change in garuma DBUS github which is not merged
> in main branch.

dbus-sharp has not seen a lot of movement and I know that there are
fixes in gurama's repo that will allow us to remove some workarounds
in Banshee. Is there any way to bribe him with beer till he merges
what is done (I also believe Bertrand might have some changes I recall
him working on unit tests at the hackfest which I never got
confirmation was merged to master).

upnp I think Andres or was it Alexander.. can't recall stepped up to
do a release after the previous maintainer Scott passed away last
December. I guess that puts this in the marginally safe category.

I convinced shana to do webkit binding and finishing the port in
Banshee but she seems to have disappeared despite promises of cookies.
I guess that means we need another volunteer.

As for the SQL task, I think that still has merit, however it sounds
like an invasive change and something that would take great
understanding of Banshee and SQLite. I suspect it might make a good
GSoC task if we could find a mentor for it.

> I guess we can order that in an excel file with priority/difficulty of the
> task.

We really should consolidate this more, I wanted to do something like
the LibreOffice easy hacks page to list all the requested features and
fixes marked GNOME love. I never got around to it though, I will put
it on the todo list, I might have some time to dedicate to it
throughout February.

> we have new items here:
> http://live.gnome.org/Banshee/Roadmap
>
> But to be honest I prefer that we pick a big task such as one of
> enhancement:
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced;bug_severity=enhancement;bug_status=UNCONFIRMED;bug_status=NEW;product=banshee

Just a couple of those seems GSoC scale to me, such as adding support
for Spotify. It sounds like you have something more specific in mind.

> than a lot of small task because objective wsill be not clear.

I'd really love someone to work on OS X support, we have a lot of
integration work to do. The BCE part of Banshee isn't even built with
our OS X image (yet, it is something I am looking at getting working).
There is little hardware support. Banshee on OS X reeks of potential
but it needs some love to get truly impressive. That sadly is going to
be a bunch of small tasks, but it will amount to a big job.

- David