[Banshee-List] Set and Read multiple discrete fields (in Artist, Composer, etc.)

First off, if this is a re-post, then sorry. It's not actually a complete re-post; the very last paragraph is indeed new, and I've doubled-checked my findings using a hex editor (rather than MP3 Diags). In any case, no one was saying anything and I kept getting a message saying "You may need to subscribe to this mailing list for your message to be accepted." So I subscribed, and then I saw something that said you should repost your messages that you posted before you were subscribed. So I did. So here's the posting I already made.

As per this, I would like to be able to set multiple Artist fields using Banshee. I know that Banshee can successfully read tags with multiple artists because:

  1. I have a file that I tagged with multiple artists in WMP11 (artists are separated by a semicolon ;)
  2. I opened the file with a hex editor (GHex), and I saw that the artist field was stored as TPE1="Artist1/Artist2" (slash separated values).
  3. I added the file to Banshee's database, and it displays in the artist field (in the main window and in the Track Editor) as "Artist1; Artist2".

However, when I try to add multiple discrete artists to tracks, it doesn't work. If I give Banshee "Artist1/Artist2", it stores it into the TPE1 field properly (MP3 Diags shows a slash separator). But in Banshee, it displays as "Artist1/Artist2", not ""Artist1; Artist2". If I give Banshee "Artist1; Artist2", then it stores a semicolon into the TPE1 field instead of a slash (again, looking at the field with a hex editor).

I think Banshee should probably have its functionality set so that you can give multiple semicolon-separated artists (with a space after each semicolon), and then it should store it in the MP3 tag with a slash (and drop the space). I've also noticed that Banshee doesn't handle FLAC files very well (and I would guess it does the same thing with OGG files). Instead of storing several fields ("ARTIST=Artist1", "ARTIST=Artist2"), as per this (search for "Field names are not required to be unique", it stores them as "ARTIST=Arist1; Artist2". It is even worse with COMPOSER fields. Banshee only reads the first composer - I can sort of live with that. But if you decide to edit some other field with Banshee and then save the new tag, it deletes the extra composers it couldn't see. That is completely unacceptable.