Re: [Banshee-List] Error running banshee with community-extensions with newly created extension

2011/9/13 Andres G. Aragoneses <knocte gmail com>:

> Hey Nelson!

Hello Andres,

Sorry this slipped through, I've seen it now :)

> Not sure I completely understand your email.

My email is about a problem that the openSUSE Banshee repository had.
Basically the main goal of this repository was to provide a build of
Banshee for all supported platforms. Older platforms didn't provided
some dependencies required for the build, so this dependencies were
added to the Banshee repository by the previous maintainers. This
brought some problems, as this dependencies were enabled for all
platforms. On the practice this was what happened (simple example):

 * openSUSE 11.4 provides mono-addins 0.5
 * Banshee repository provides mono-addins 0.6
 * Banshee gets build against mono-addins 0.6.
 * User installs Banshee repository and mono-addins gets updated to
0.6 (from 0.5 served on 11.4).
 * Banshee works because it was build against mono-addins 0.6.
 * F-Spot and other mono apps which were build against openSUSE 11.4
mono-addins 0.5 are broken.

So, by installing Banshee repository sometimes other mono applications
provided by openSUSE 11.4 were broken because Banshee repository
provided updated packages (I know F-Spot and GNOME DO were known
victims of this).

This is the situation I've tried to explain which was happening.
That's why I cleaned up the whole repository and removed all
superfluous packages (so that Banshee gets built against the packages
provided by the distribution), that's why I disabled the build for
recent platforms for a few packages that are _not_ provided in older
platform releases.

All this is old news, with Banshee 2.2.0 I've worked the repositories
and this kind of issue no longer exists :)

> It seems to me you're confusing Mono with Mono-Addins.

It's probably a language/wording thingie. My native language is
Portuguese (latin based), thinking in Portuguese and writting in
English, sometime has weird forms.

> They are completely separate things.

All is solved now, the way the repositories are now bring no problems
and users can use them without breaking anything on their system!
That's what is really important.