Re: [Banshee-List] Embedded Artwork - Cache

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Akovia <akovia1 eml cc> wrote:
> If I understand correctly, the only way banshee reads embedded artwork is by
> "fetching artwork", or by playing the track. In either case, this adds an
> entry to the cache folder by downloading from the net or extracting a copy
> from the track. If this is correct, it presents a couple of problems for me
> in that it uses up what little space I have on my old laptop, and by being
> located in the .cache folder, is susceptible to deletion when I run tools to
> clean out unnecessary bloat.
>
> I keep all my media on a large external drive and all my tracks have
> embedded artwork. Is the only way to avoid having a large cache of artwork
> is to extract a folder.jpg|png to every album folder in my collection? I'm
> just trying to remove the redundancy and keep all my media data external and
> in one place.

Having a folder.jpg in the album folder will not prevent Banshee from
putting that artwork in its cache.
The artwork cache, which by default is in ~/.cache/media-art/, is used
not only to store the image in its original size, but also to store it
in the various sizes that are need for displaying it. With this,
Banshee doesn't need to do the resizing each time an image is
displayed.

> I think it would be a great feature to have the option when fetching artwork
> to have it extract any embedded artwork to the tracks folder instead of
> using the cache. On top of that it would be great when viewing/editing a
> tracks properties to show any embedded artwork with the option of saving it
> to disk, and/or "Use this image as the Album Cover"

I'm not sure that's what you mean, but you can already manually change
the image used: in the track properties dialog, right click on the
image and select "Choose new cover art..."

> I realize I'm a minority in having so little disk space to work with, but I
> hope you could give it some consideration.

Another solution that might work for you :
Move the ~/.cache/media-art/ folder to a place where you have more
disk space, and make ~/.cache/media-art/ a symlink to that folder :

ln -s /media/big_disk/media-art ~/.cache/media-art/

Just make sure that your clean up tools don't follow that symlink.

--
Bertrand Lorentz