[Banshee-List] Shared database

First, thanks to the team for Banshee. I’m from Winamp, and Banshee serves me
very nicely.

Is there a recommended method of network music sharing for Banshee users?
I’m a home user with 6 Ubuntu PCs and all family members use the Music
collection. On an 11.10 server I have over 50,000 tracks (mp3,flac,aac), and
playlists, and radio stations. I’d like to have one central db where all
users can read/write the db, add playlists and radio stations and can access
the same db from any Banshee client. Currently, this is done by VNCing into
an X screen which runs Banshee on the server, but that means only one user
at a time, which ain’t no good.

I tried Tangerine DAAP. It worked fine with the music files, but clients
took about 2 mins to load the library on each startup. It also did not share
the radio stations or the playlists, which ain’t no good either.

I then tried sharing the server’s db, by starting banshee in terminal at the
client end with

banshee --db=/path/to/banshee.db

Clients had first mounted the network drive in fstab, had 770 access to
.config/banshee-1/banshee.db on the server and I created symlinks to their
home folders so the db appeared to be local.  But this produced multiple
errors and whilst Banshee would start and load the library, it wouldn’t run,
even one user at a time. I assume the db is not shareable or the db file
pointers are different over a network. So...that ain’t no good either.

I’m stuck. Again . Can someone tell me if what I am trying to do is
possible? Have I missed any steps anywhere? How is everyone else sharing
music over their network?
I guess that a networked central music db is a popular goal?

Tks anyone