Re: [Banshee-List] Which Banshee

Hi Dick, Banshee is an application rather than a distribution of Linux. I'm sure you knew that, just clarifying so we don't get caught up in misleading terms and confuse ourselves. I believe what you want when referring to Banshee as a "rolling distro" are seamless updates just like Debian does for all of their packages. Since Banshee is in the Debian Testing Repositories where Linux Mint XFCE gets most all of its packages from, Banshee will get upgraded as the updates are released, packaged, and then accepted into the Debian Repositories. It just probably won't be the day or week after, it might take some time.

Although you could use the Banshee PPA as Gabriel suggested it is not recommended to do so on a distribution like Linux Mint XFCE since it is now, as you know, built upon Debian Testing and not Ubuntu as it previously was. PPA's are largely an Ubuntu invention and almost all of the packages are built for Ubuntu using their dependencies. While everything might work out ok, you risk damaging your system due to minor differences in packages/dependency versions, etc. I don't know enough to go into all of the specifics, just enough to say that Ubuntu PPA's are not advised to be used on a Debian system.

The best advice would be to wait until new Banshee versions eventually land in Debian Testing which, I believe, is where Linux Mint XFCE sources its packages from.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Dick Parker <merryoakparker yahoo com> wrote:
Bertrand,
  Thanks for the response. Does Banshee have a 'rolling" distro like Linux Mint XFCE? If not, what is involved in an upgrade.

Thanks,
Dick

Show me something more beautiful than a beautiful girl, and then I'll go paint it." Alberto Vargas

--- On Thu, 6/16/11, Bertrand Lorentz <bertrand lorentz gmail com> wrote:

From: Bertrand Lorentz <bertrand lorentz gmail com>
Subject: Re: [Banshee-List] Which Banshee
To: banshee-list gnome org
Date: Thursday, June 16, 2011, 3:22 PM

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 2:42 AM, tlcmd <tlcmd hotmail com> wrote:
> Just installed Linux Mint XFCE and am looking for a jukebox which is
> comparable with my J Rivers Media Jukebox which will not play on Linux (I've
> tried). This LXCE is a rolling Debian distro of Linux Mint. I have some 14k
> music files on my Media Jukebox which are mostly ogg vorbis and mp3 files.
>
> Will Banshee handle my jukebox needs? If so, which edition? And I would
> appreciate any other Linux compatible jukebox programs. I do not need a
> media player, just a well optioned jukebox for mono and stereo music.

I don't know what your exact needs are, or what distinction you make
between a jukebox and a media player, but after a quick look at the
J.River Jukebox, it seems it has a lot in common with Banshee.
You can learn more about Banshee here :
http://banshee.fm/about/features/

Banshee doesn't have "editions", but we release a new version every 6
months. I'd advise you to get the latest version available for your
distribution. I hope you'll enjoy it !

Cheers,

--
Bertrand Lorentz