[Banshee-List] Importing ripped mp3 files and CD player problem

I'm having a problem playing or importing some of my files with Banshee

1) Some of the files I downloaded from Amazon.com into my home folder.
[partly solved] moving these files into artist/album/file arrangements in
the music folder allowed banshee to play them.  Is this really the only way?
When I tried to use Banshee's Media>Import Media>Choose Folders, the files
in the browser were grayed out and couldn't be imported as long as they were
in my Home folder and not my Music folder.

2) Other files are albums I ripped to MP3 files from my CD collection years
ago.  They've worked with other music players over the years.  They don't
work even after I copy them into an artist/album folder structure in my
Music directory.  In fact, although they work fine in Totem (I think it's
actually Totem, it's called Movie Player on my PinguyOS install) I can't
make them work with Banshee even by right-clicking on them and selecting
Banshee for Open With.  Doing so will start Banshee, but the selected song
doesn't come up and no music starts.

I can run it with VLC, which gives the codec info as:
Stream 0
	Type: Audio
	Codec MPEG Audio layer 1/2/3 (mpga)
	Channels: Stereo
	Sample rate: 44100 Hzo
	Bitrate: 160 kb/s
for one of the files.  I searched around the past couple days, and installed
a new gstreamer codec
gstreamer0.10-fluendo-plugins-mp3-partner, which in turn caused another
fluendo codec package to be uninstalled, but that didn't help.

And while I'm on a roll, I've got one more issue:  If I insert an audio CD,
it brings up Banshee per my settings in the Preferred applications app in
the Control Centre, but then Banshee crashes to desktop.  If i start Banshee
first, and navigate to the CD in the left pane of Banshee, it will find the
album, download some track info, and then lock, with the music playing in
the background.

I usually get a little dialog box at that point that says fatal error, and
sometimes says the error is an EPIPE error.  One time the following popup
which asked me to kill the unresponsive program was labeled as Metacity, but
I'm not certain whether it was throwing the error, or Metacity which
couldn't get the other program to respond and was asking me to kill the
other.

My hardware is a Dell Vostro 3450, and it has a discrete graphics card, an
ATI 66xx, I think, which doesn't have drivers yet.  So I've been using a
script with VGAswitcheroo to shut down the ATI card when I'm using Linux to
save battery life, and running off the integrated graphics on the Core i5
chip.  I know this causes an issue for displaying the MintMenu, which uses
Compiz, so I was wondering if this might in some roundabout way have to do
with why I can't use the CD player with Banshee?

Many thanks in advance for any ideas.