Re: [Banshee-List] facebook plugin

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 3:44 AM, Gabriel Burt <gabriel burt gmail com> wrote:
> As far as I know, a Facebook extension does not exist.
>
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 8:36 PM, just-nj <neil neiljcurrie com> wrote:
>>
>> I know this is my first post so maybe I shouldn't ask such things. But, does
>> anyone know of a plugin that allows "scrobbling" direct to facebook? At the
>> moment I'm using the wonderful last.fm plugin and the lastfmsocial app on
>> facebook but it does require some manual intervention...

We had a proposal for a Google Summer of Code project for something
similar, but it was not accepted.
I've been toying with the idea ever since, even more after I heard
about libgwibber :
https://launchpad.net/gwibber/libgwibber
http://blogs.gnome.org/kenvandine/2010/08/18/introducing-libgwibber-lets-make-the-desktop-social/
(seems to be down currently)

So I'm just going to put it out there.

Use case :
Alice is listening to a great song and want to share it with the
world. She right-clicks on the track and selects "Share this...". A
dialog box opens, with a pre-filled message "#NowPlaying Great Song by
Amazing Artist from Awesome Album". She edits the message, adding "I
love it !", selects where she wants the message to be posted
(Facebook, Twitter, Identi.ca, etc.) and hits "Send".

Libgwibber provides a C# wrapper, and I think it would be quite easy
to implement the features described above. You wouldn't have to bother
with accounts and configuration, Gwibber does that for you.

I'd be happy to do the initial setup of the extension as part of the
Banshee Community Extensions project, but I probably won't have the
time to do any more than that. So I'll only do this if somebody is
willing to take it from there and hack on it.

Any takers ?

Bonus : the Gwibber devs are Banshee fans, so they'll probably be
happy to help and answer questions.

--
Bertrand Lorentz