Re: [Banshee-List] Songs skipping when played

2011/1/8 elcheeserpuff <elcheeserpuff gmail com>

Hello, I just recently downloaded banshee and finished importing everything
into it today. When playing any song I noticed that it skips every 3-8
seconds. Is there anything I can do to fix this? The songs played fine on
WMP and itunes. I just finished debugging it and the problem continues.
Could my music files have gotten corrupted in the file transfer?

Very likely this is due to resource management problems, your files should be fine.

First you can put the cursor on top of the little throbber in the lower left corner when Banshee is running. That will tell you if Banshee is doing any work. If it is skipping can unfortunately occur in some situations especially if heavy extensions like Mirage are in use. This are typically one time costs and should go away after the jobs have finished. Also Banshee tries to schedule them to have the least impact (obvious we may have failed in this case though).

Also you can ensure that you are using a correct version of SQLite and that your database is optimized. See:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/12/help-improving-banshees-performance-on-maverick/

Finally you can look at the output in a terminal running --debug to see what Banshee is doing while the skipping occurs.

And of course you can file a bug:
www.banshee.fm/file-bugs

- David