[Banshee-List] Update on the road to 2.2 and beyond

Hi everyone !

Following the 2.1.3 releases of Banshee and of the Banshee Community
Extensions, I think it's a good time to review our plan for the
upcoming 2.2 stable release and beyond.

At the start of this cycle[1], we announced we were going to drop
several old dependencies, to reduce our maintenance and testing
overhead. This was done for 2.1.0.

We also announced our plan to port Banshee to Gtk# 3. Since then, a
lot of work was done towards that goal, in the gtk3 branch, especially
by Andrés and Olivier : over 150 commits in Banshee[2] and Hyena[3],
with more than 3500 lines of code changed. This lead also to bugfixes
and improvements in Gtk# itself[4], and some of our dependencies.

There are still some major issues to solve, so at this point we don't
think we would be able to deliver a Gtk# 3 port of sufficient quality
for the 2.2 release, scheduled for September 21st. As a consequence,
2.2 will still depend on Gtk# 2. We hope to merge the gtk3 branch into
git master soon after the stable-2.2 branch is created.

The 2.1.4 release is scheduled for September 7th, and should be the
last 2.1.x release before 2.2, to be released 2 weeks after that. In
order to ensure a high quality and stable release, we are now in
string freeze and "bugfixes only" mode for git master.

I have just updated our roadmap on the wiki[5], to reflect those
changes, and I'm looking forward to hear your feedback.

Thanks !

--
Bertrand

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/banshee-list/2011-April/msg00336.html