Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee 2.0 on Mac, and Building for Lion

2011/8/1 Brett Cornwall <brettcornwall gmail com>
Hi, there. Linux user but I've been itching to try out Banshee on the Mac since my girlfriend is in the market for an itunes replacement. Since the release of 2.0 the downloads page has been stating that a Mac build would be coming soon.

Well, it's been quite a few months now :). I thought I'd go ahead and nab my gf's mac and try to build it for you guys since it didn't seem like it was going to happen anytime soon.

Well, Xcode 4 really changes things, apparently. Building has been a nightmare. So much isn't supported in this new xcode and I was stuck in uber-dependency hell for a real long time. I finally gave up in frustration after performing so many workarounds to basically everything.

So I guess my questions are these:

Is there a plan for getting a mac build out there? The current build doesn't seem to even boot for macs because of this bug. Very unfortunate.

Secondly, if someone would be willing to help me build this beast I'd be willing to perform. The current guide is for Snow (and the previous xcode 3.* which cannot be used on Lion).

Thanks!

A lot of the work being done presently involves moving Banshee to GTK#3 and replacing the C bits with managed lovely C# code, the latter should ease the process of getting a functional Banshee on non-Linux platforms.

Work is a little slow since we lost Gabriel to the Obama reelection campaign and since Aaron still has not returned from his secret Rdio cave. However Bertrand and Olivier have been champions lately, hopefully we will see some of this merged into mainline soon.

So hopefully we can get Banshee working well on Windows and OS X soon.

Kind regards,
David