Re: [Banshee-List] rescan library for album art?

On 4/9/2011 3:41 PM, J S wrote:
I recently migrated to a different Linux installation (from Ubuntu to
elementary.OS, a new Ubuntu derivative), but I wanted to keep my play
counts and settings from Banshee, so I backed up the .config/banshee-1
folder and placed in my new home folder.

The play counts and most of the settings transfered over quite well
(both old and new installations had the newest Banshee installed). The
only thing that did not copy over was the cover art. I have attempted to
restore it using "Rescan Library," but that doesn't appear to do
anything. I even tried executing "touch `find -name folder.jpg`" in the
command shell so as to make the cover art files look newly updated, and
this did not change the results of scanning my library.

Is there any way to force Banshee to look for cover art for a specific
file, a specific album, or an entire library?

I was looking for a way to do that same thing a few weeks ago, and there isn't currently any native support for it in Banshee. The problem is Banshee thinks it found and cached all of your album art already because the database contains references to the images. You will need to remove these references:

$ sqlite3 ~/.config/banshee-1/banshee.db
sqlite> DELETE FROM CoverArtDownloads;

Now if you click "Rescan Library," Banshee will notice that it has no record of album art images for your library and go ahead and download them again.

There was a bit of discussion on how expose this operation, or something similar, in the UI, but I'm not sure if we decided anything.

Hope this helps,

--
Dustin C. Hatch
http://dustin.hatch.name/

"In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people
angry and has been widely regarded as a 'bad move'."
--Douglas Adams