Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee 2.0 On Windows 7 - Fatal Error

On 4/6/2011 3:40 PM, Dustin C. Hatch wrote:
On 4/6/2011 3:57 PM, precipitous wrote:
I just installed Banshee 2.0 on a Windows 7 box. I set it to Run As
Administrator and tried running it both normally, and in Compatibility Mode
with Windows XP. Either way when I launch the application I get the
following fatal error:

"Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation".

Has anyone else encountered this error?

I haven't tried the public build on Windows yet, but I do have the latest git code running fine on Windows 7. You shouldn't have to run Banshee in compatibility mode, and you *definitely* shouldn't run it as administrator (you shouldn't run anything as administrator, really, but that's a different topic entirely).

The error you posted looks like something the JIT debugger would spit out. Is there a way to expand the dialog you get to see the rest of the message and the traceback? If so, please post that so we can have a little more insight into what's happening.

Depending on when the crash actually occurs, you may have some information in the log. Please check C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\banshee for a log file and have a look at its contents.

Let us know if you find anything more.

The log file reads:
[Info  13:04:40.021] Running Banshee Unknown: [ (, ) @ ]
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Could not read add-in description
   at Mono.Addins.Addin.get_Description()
   at Mono.Addins.AddinSessionService.CheckHostAssembly(Assembly asm)
   at Mono.Addins.AddinSessionService.ActivateRoots()
   at Mono.Addins.AddinSessionService.Initialize()
   at Mono.Addins.AddinManager.Initialize(String configDir)
at Banshee.ServiceStack.ServiceManager.InitializeAddins() in c:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\banshee\src\Core\Banshee.Services\Banshee.ServiceStack\ServiceManager.cs:line 71 at Banshee.ServiceStack.ServiceManager.DefaultInitialize() in c:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\banshee\src\Core\Banshee.Services\Banshee.ServiceStack\ServiceManager.cs:line 119 at Banshee.ServiceStack.Application.Initialize() in c:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\banshee\src\Core\Banshee.Services\Banshee.ServiceStack\Application.cs:line 80 at Banshee.Gui.GtkBaseClient.Initialize(Boolean registerCommonServices) in c:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\banshee\src\Core\Banshee.ThickClient\Banshee.Gui\GtkBaseClient.cs:line 144 at Banshee.Gui.GtkBaseClient..ctor(Boolean initializeDefault, String defaultIconName) in c:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\banshee\src\Core\Banshee.ThickClient\Banshee.Gui\GtkBaseClient.cs:line 95 at Banshee.Gui.GtkBaseClient..ctor() in c:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\banshee\src\Core\Banshee.ThickClient\Banshee.Gui\GtkBaseClient.cs:line 87
   at Nereid.Client..ctor()
at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck) at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache) at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type)
at Banshee.Gui.GtkBaseClient.Startup() in c:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\banshee\src\Core\Banshee.ThickClient\Banshee.Gui\GtkBaseClient.cs:line 82 at Hyena.Gui.CleanRoomStartup.Startup(StartupInvocationHandler startup) in c:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\banshee\src\Hyena\Hyena.Gui\Hyena.Gui\CleanRoomStartup.cs:line 54

As a side note - running .msi files normally installs applications as administrator, and sets them to run as such automatically. There are many applications which need to be run as administrator in versions of Windows from Vista onward (I happen to be a support tech for one of them)... One of the may reasons I run Linux at home!

Thank you in advance for helping me on this one...