Re: [Banshee-List] Playing videos in banshee 1.7.4

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Steven Côté <steven cote gmail com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I have something called gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg, version
> .10.10-1 installed already (this is on 10.04). It calls itself the ffmpeg
> plugin for GStreamer. Is this what you were referring to or is there another
> package?

That is the one I was referring to. And that doesn't help?

Ok, I just did a little googling, and there's one other thing you
should check. You mentioned that you had gstreamer-plugins-ugly
installed, but was it the one from Multiverse (on Ubuntu, it's called
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse)? I noticed that it specifically
has libx264 as a dependency, so that should sort out the videos that
require H.264 codec.

I'm still not sure why the xvid videos won't play if you have the
ffmpeg gstreamer plugin installed. Do the videos play in Totem?

Hi, gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg was installed and does not help. Totem does not play the xvid videos or x264/H264 ones either. The only reason I never figured this out is that I have never actually used Totem.

To be precise, I have gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad and gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse installed. The former is version 0.10.18-1ubuntu1 and the latter is version 0.10.18-0ubuntu1

I also have both variants of the ugly version installed.

I'm not sure whether there is a multiverse variant of the good plugins set, however, I only have the gstreamer-plugins-good installed. Nothing shows up from multiverse for the good set.

Should I just have one of each? Say, the multiverse set of good bad and ugly?

I should apologize for my misuse (I bet) of the terminology regarding codecs and formats and whatever else I've misused. I certainly hope it's understandable.

This is what I assume the relevant info would be for what Banshee displays under properties for the .avi/xvid file: http://yfrog.com/5cselection001op

It doesn't even display the above information for the x264/h264 file.