Re: [Banshee-List] Where is the Music Stored?

I'm not quite sure what's causing the problem, but 1.4 is quite old.  Do you still get crashes if you try upgrading to something newer like 1.8 or 1.9?

Either way, the music files themselves shouldn't be lost.  Even if the database is trashed, Banshee only uses the database for storing things like ratings, play counts, playlists, etc.  The actual music files themselves should be stored wherever you generally keep your music (probably somewhere in your home folder).  If you were letting Banshee manage the file structure automatically, then the music files should be in your home folder, in a subdirectory called "Music" (or the localized equivalent).

If they aren't there, let us know, and we'll probably be able to find them somewhere.  Also, if it is your database that's causing the problem, then upgrading your version of Banshee might not fix anything.  If that's the case, then you can try renaming Banshee's config folder (which contains the database), which will force it to create a new, blank one.  You can do this by running the command: mv ~/.config/banshee-1 ~/.config/banshee-1-bak

The next time you run Banshee, it should start with a fresh profile, and offer to import music.  Hopefully when it scans, it will find everything.  Again, if this doesn't work, let us know, and someone will probably come along with better ideas.  :)

Michael