[Banshee-List] Can't launch Banshee on Snow Leopard

I have a new MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard, and I just downloaded and
installed Mono 2.6 and Banshee 1.4.3 per the instructions on the download
page.

When I try to launch Banshee, the icon appears in the dock, and when I click
on it I see an empty window labeled "Banshee Media Player" (solid gray).
Most of the options in the menu above either do nothing (e.g. Playback >
Play) or cause the app to immediately quit (e.g. Media > New Playlist).
About and Preferences under the main app menu do appear properly.  Hitting
Command+Q to Quit also does nothing.

While it's running, I don't get any results other than grep if I run "ps ax
| grep banshee", and I do not see a file called log in ~/.config/banshee-1.
I only see: addin-db-001, banshee.db, config.xml, and downloads.  I do see
its PID in the Mac's Activity Monitor, and if I do kill -s QUIT
the-pid-here, nothing more interesting seems to happen (I was hoping maybe a
log file would show up).

The only other thing I can think of is that I did recently install a number
of packages using Fink and MacPorts, including some GTK-related ones, and I
hope that doesn't introduce a conflict.  I did try removing those additions
to the $PATH from ~/.profile just in case.  I also tried following the Mono
uninstall instructions and re-installing; no issues are reported there.

Is there anywhere else I can look for clues as to why it won't run, or is
this expected?  I'm very much looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks!