Re: [Banshee-List] anonymous usage data

Thanks for your comments, see inline:

El 15/02/10 07:49, Max Battcher escribió:
> On 2/14/2010 12:24, "Andrés G. Aragoneses" wrote:
>> And one more idea: collect asserts a-la Mozilla Talkback tool. For
>> instance, we normally don't want the application to crash when an
>> expectation from a developer wasn't met in some part of the code,
>> because it's bad user experience. However, if we don't crash, the user
>> won't report the bug straight away. But there's the best of both worlds:
>> using an automatic talkback tool, not only for crashes, but with asserts
>> that do not cause a crash (this new aspect wouldn't be covered by the
>> current capabilities of the MozillaTalkback tool AFAIK).
>
> While its further getting away from the original subject, Mozilla's
> Talkback tool isn't exactly built for Mono. Crash Reporters for Mono end

I wasn't saying we could reuse MozillaTalkback, but its philosophy.

> up being simpler (thanks to Mono/.NET having easy/direct access to the
> stack trace upon exceptions, for instance). It would be nice, though,
> for Mono-based apps to standardize on a usefully generic crash reporter.

Well, in my bug report [1] I wasn't talking about a tool for
mono-based-apps, but for the wide Gnome desktop (indeed, I've targetted
the bug to bug-buddy).

> Certainly if Banshee were to take the lead, I'd imagine many others
> would follow.

I was only proposing a specific banshee approach now that the
BansheeMetrics have been implemented and bug-buddy doesn't have support
yet for what I'm talking about. So if some work is being done in the
Gnome's side, Banshee could switch to that; thus, I'm not sure if
wasting a lot of time integrating ExceptionReporter is worth it.

> Exception Reporter seems like a decent place to start:
>
> http://exceptionreporter.codeplex.com/
>
> On the other hand, its LGPL and it would probably be nice to have one in
> a less restrictive license. Also, for Mono apps you'd want a Gtk# UI.
>
> One other wishlist item for a Mono "standard" crash reporter would be
> support for Ubuntu's apport:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport/DeveloperHowTo

This is interesting. I would say this looks like it should become the
replacement of bug-buddy or it should integrate with it somehow.

> There's even a Blueprint spec pointing out that better/generic Mono
> support for Apport would be nice:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/apport-mono-crashes
>
> (Although, I can't actually remember the last time I saw Banshee crash
> to the desktop, automatic exception reporting still sounds like a good
> idea to me.)

Regards,

	Andrés