Re: [Banshee-List] Temporary CPU pegging with 45'000 tracks

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Mysingen <klas lindberg gmail com> wrote:
> I'm currently running v1.5.2 (1.6 beta 3) but have had the same problem with
> all versions I've tried (I normally follow the Debian Testing branch):
>
> I started adding my stuff to Banshee because it seems very good at handling
> really large collections, but I had to slow down at 45'000 tracks because of
> weird CPU behavior. It appears to be somehow connected to the filtering
> capabilities and shows as near 200% CPU pegging (I have a Core-2 Duo
> machine), but sometimes it's just random. I.e. music has been playing for
> hours without a hitch and suddenly it just starts racing the CPU. I don't
> *have* to do anything for this to happen, but it happens more often when I'm
> manipulating the contents of playlists.
>
> Is it a known problem? Other similar posts seem to be about radio plugins or
> other more specific problems.

Banshee might be doing a background job, like saving metadata to file,
moving/renaming files/folders, calculating BPM, etc.  You can verify
it isn't by mousing over the icon/img in the very lower-left corner of
the Banshee window.  It'll have a tooltip if it's doing something.

Beyond that, you can run the `kill` command mentioned on
http://banshee-project.org/contribute/file-bugs/ when the CPU goes
crazy.  If you run that a few times, it can help to identify what
Banshee is doing when that happens.  And of course, file a bug with
that log.

Gabriel