Re: [Banshee-List] Cleaning DB after moving music

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 15:14 +0100, Bertrand Lorentz wrote:
> I think there's another way to remove the tracks from the old location
> : the file location can be displayed in the track list and you can
> search or sort by this field.
> So you should be able to find all tracks that still refer to the old
> location, select them all, right-click and select the "Remove from
> Library".

Heh.  Tricky!  Nice idea; I'll give it a try tonight.

Of course now I've realized that when I do this I'll lose all my ratings
anyway.  Ugh.

I really lament the fact that Banshee ties all the ratings[1] to the
filesystem location.  That just seems wrong to me.  Those things should
tied to a track, as a concept.  If I move a track to a different
location on my disk I want to keep my ratings.  If I re-rip or convert
the track to a different format (OGG vs. MP3 or whatever), I want to
keep my ratings.  Even things like editing the album title on the disk
(for example to remove that annoying "[Explicit]" tag that Amazon adds
or whatever) should not cause me to lose all my ratings--this one is
much harder I grant you.

Heck, if I listen to my music on a different system I'd like to transfer
all my ratings.

Has anyone ever tried to come up with and/or standardize on some format
for transferring this data, kind of like a v-card for songs, or
something, that all different music apps could (aspire to) support?

-----
[1] When I say "ratings" I of course mean all my track metadata
including play counts, skip counts, ratings, and scores.