Re: [Banshee-List] Group album by album artist tag whith different album name for the compilation.

On 07/12/10 18:08, Jensen Somers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:58 AM, aladon84 <adriendidio_5 hotmail com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a way to group album by "album artist" tag when the "album" tag are
>> different for a compilation?
>> When I check the compilation option for all title of my compilation that's
>> doesn't work
>>
>> For instance I have this metada:
>> http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/513/lecteurmultimdiabanshee.png
>> http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/513/lecteurmultimdiabanshee.png
>>

>> For info I use banshee 1.8.0 and I have set my metatda with the musicbrainz
>> picard utility first and next set the compilation tag inside banshee.
>>

> Normally, MusicBrainz will set it to Various Artists which I believe
> will solve the issue for you. However, note that in the artist list it
> will still list each artist individually, there's an open bug for that
> one though.
>

>> Thanks,
>> Adrien
>>

> - Jensen

The problem here actually appears to be that Banshee is doing what it is
told, but the data is wrong.

If a number of tracks are on a compilation album then the Album should
be the same, but the artist will be different for each track. Banshee
normally thinks that this lots of different albums of the same name by
different artists (which is sensible, since that is what you told it -
for example, there are multiple The White Album albums [1]). If you then
tick "Compilation Album Artist" (Artistes de l'album de compilation) and
put in a name then it'll group them all together into one compilation
under that name.

For albums with tracks that have feature artists then the "Compilation
album artist" lets you correctly record the artist per track and the
featured artists, but also group it into an album by the main artist's
name. For compilation albums then the "Compilation album artist" lets
you record the artist for each track but still group it under a single
album in the same way that shops do, using "Various Artists" or similar.

If you've got a compilation album then you can either track it all as a
compilation album under one album name and group it together using the
album artist, or you can break it up and store the name of the album
that the track was originally on. The former keeps the compilation as a
compilation in Banshee, the latter breaks it apart and treats it as if
no compilation ever existed and you just have odd tracks from lots of
albums.

I hope that explains it :)

Regards,

IBBoard