Re: [Banshee-List] Multiple Music Sets

Thanks. I wasn't aware of Smart Play lists filter ability.
Looks promising - Using a filter such as Group or some ID3 Tag.

I only edit with EasyTag. Not from within banshee. So I can't change the "Group" easily. However the "ID3 Tag: Encoded By" is pretty useless to me - So I may group based on that.

Good enough workaround for the moment.

[Though I would prefer the ability to group based on "Import Location". It would be VERY handy if the "Extra" tab contained an "Import Location" cell.]

KR
   Michael

Michael Martin-Smucker wrote:
I second the vote for smart playlists. If you go the the "Extra" tab in the Track Editor, you can add either "Grouping" or "Comment" information. You can use this info to sort or filter your library, and to create fairly elaborate smart playlists. The added bonus is that you don't have to mess up the real metadata.

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 8:04 PM, zekopeko <zekopeko gmail com <mailto:zekopeko gmail com>> wrote:

    On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 1:36 AM, Michael.S.G. <OzFalcon bden org
    <mailto:OzFalcon bden org>> wrote:
    > I have just noticed in the Bugs (Fixed) that Banshee supports
    .mod (Tracker)
    > files via gstreamer. This is great. But makes a Banshee limitation
    > exasperated.
    >
    > How do others separate their music sets?
    > Currently I use Play Lists to Separate my music "Types". This
    works only
    > Just.
    >
    > We (I ) really need some sort of Set's separator similar to
    Audiobook
    > extention.
    >
    > I would like to split my banshee DB (Same DB, Different "Sets")
    to this:

    > 1. Modern music collection Albums.
    > 2. Modern music collection Compilations.
    > 3. Modern music collection Classic Hits (One big directory).
    > 4. Audio books and the like.
    > 5. Classical music collection Albums & Compilations.
    > 6. Love song collection. (Many duplicates from Modern
    collection. But want
    > to keep file structure AND Banshee entries separate.)
    > 7. A game music set would be nice. (Lots of Unreal, Mech warrior
    etc music)
    > 8. And I'd love to have a .Mod's set.
    >

    > Currently I have to set it up like this: (Big hack for the most
    part)
    > eg.
    > * Albums and Compilations are simply dumped together.  Works ok.
    >
    > * I have to separate Classic hits directory by setting "Artist"
    to "Various
    > Classics" and then make a play list based on that.
    >
    > * Love song collection. Not sure how to get this in cleanly. Setting
    > "Artist" to "Various Lovesongs" for all 40 albums would be
    painful - And
    > also a bad Idea to lose that metadata info just to "Separate"
    the sets. It
    > remains unused.
    >
    > *  Classical collection. Same problem as Love song collection.
    In the Intrim
    > I have simply used the 101 Classical Hits albums (4cds) and set
    "Artist" to
    > "Various Classical" to import into play list.
    >

    > Q. Why set "Artist" to "Various yada yada"?
    > A. I can simply scroll down to "V" artist entries and drag to
    make a music
    > set list.
    >
    > This is handy when current WIP on your mp3 collection requires
    re-creating
    > your banshee DB from scratch to clean up older now defunct
    entries. But
    > doing so deletes your play list sets. So a simple and quick
    method of
    > re-creating music sets was needed.

    Are you using Smart Playlists? They appear perfect for your needs.
    here)