Re: [Banshee-List] podcast downloads

2009/5/27 Brian Lucas <bcl1713 gmail com>
Not a deal breaker for me as I don't even use banshee for podcasts.
However I'm going to have to disagree with the fact that this should
be session wide. I wouldn't want Banshee chewing up all my browsing
bandwith while it downloads.

Then we really do want to do it session wide, I mean we are delving into the highly complex realm of some kind of QoS and network scheduling. You always want to utilize your bandwidth most effective and keep latency down for browsing. Having all that as separate settings in every program is just plain wrong, it should at best be a preference setting which style of handling you prefer or it should be automatic.

It's a fairly complex problem, it's not just about downloading podcasts, e.g. what happens when you run a bittorrent client, banshee and firefox. Which program gets how much face time with eth0?

- David