Re: [Banshee-List] Draging Music to Playlist... Should it work?.

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 16:19 -0800, ZekeMX wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried adding music to a playlist by dragging the music folder and it
> didn't work.
>
> I have all of my music in different folders depending on the category in my
> Hard Drive.
>
> In banshee I had to add all my music to the Music Library and then use Add
> to Playlist depending of the category.
>
> I want a playlist for each Category or type of music (Classical, Rock, Pop,
> Country, Etc).
>
> The problem with this is that I have a lot of music and it's a pain adding
> all of my music to the Music Library and then select them one by one to Add
> them to the Playlist I want.
>
> I tried this with other Music Players, one of them is Rhythmbox. Like I
> said: I just created a Playlist and drag the folder of my music depending on
> the category and presto!!! it worked.
>
> The fastet way for me to do it is create the playlist in Rhythmbox, drag the
> music folders to the corresponding playlist, save the playlist as .pls files
> and import them in Banshee... It was MUCH faster.
>
> I am using Mandriva Linux with KDE4.2

You could use automatic playlists for that. If you add the entire folder
into the library, then use an automatic playlist to filter out songs
which exist inside that folder, then it would automatically update for
any additional songs you add which are still within the directory. I
believe this would be a more elegant solution then drag-dropping a
directory into a manually maintained playlist. In the event that you do
need to do that though, you could use Banshee's search filter --
path:/path/to/directory/you/want, and then select all, followed by
drag-drop into a manual playlist.

On the other hand, if your music is properly tagged, you can have an
automatic playlist filter out songs by Genre, etc.
--
Chow Loong Jin