Re: [Banshee-List] Weighed shuffle mode - code proposal and cry for help.

On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 16:56 +0000, Elena Grassi wrote:
> Hi all,
> sorry for posting here bad source code...but this is a pre-pre version
> of my proposal for a "weighted shuffle" options.
> Just to give an idea (and ask your help), following Gabriel suggestions,
> I modified the query directly in DatabaseTrackListModel (the .cs
> attached) and added there an internal class with my code for the random
> extractions.
> My doubts/idea/questions are:
> -where this code should be placed (the ShuffleStars class)?

I like the idea of a weighted shuffle.  I think which attribute the
shuffle is weighted on should be configurable though.

For example, I like all of my music so weighting on track rating is more
or less meaningless for me.  However given that I like all of my music,
I'd like to weight based on number of plays so that all of my songs are
at an even level of play counts.

Right now, I have a pretty wide skew between my most played and least
played and so I manually build play lists of the least played to try to
even it out, but I am not hearing any of the most played.  I'd like to
mix that up a bit, while bringing the play count up to even.

The added bonus to this is that when I import a new bunch of tracks,
chances are I want to listen to them more, as they are new.  This
weighting will naturally achieve that for me.

Thots?

b.