Re: [Banshee-List] Playlist support for Mass Storage devices (G1)

On 01/14/2009 09:03 AM, Dutchman wrote:
I am having a hard time finding any information about using playlists with
mass storage based devices.  The release notes with 1.4 mentions
"Additionally, playlists are now supported on media devices, including
MTP/PlaysForSure and iPod devices, and even mass storage devices, if
configured correctly".

Sure, assuming the device lets you interact with its playlists...

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?  Ultimately I'd like to be able to
configure Banshee to sync playlists automatically between my computer and my
T-Mobile G1.  Right now I'd be happy with just getting it to create the
playlists at all.  I hate the idea of managing .m3u files manually.

If I recall correctly, playlist info on the G1's native player is all stored in a sqlite database that is not part of the mounted file system when you plug your G1 into your computer.

The source for the media player is pretty easy to read; perhaps somebody could patch it to have a feature that reads .m3u or some other playlist format in a given location on the SD card, and import that into the sqlite db.

Alternatively, you could write a standalone Android app that did that, and manually run it after each sync.

But for this to work, Banshee would have to put that playlist file somewhere. In the current default G1 situation, that doesn't make sense, so it's not yet implemented.

Sandy