Re: [Banshee-List] Standardizing the set of extension categories

Bertrand Lorentz wrote:
On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 14:54 -0800, John Millikin wrote:
Having a standardized set of extension categories would be useful,
both as a guide to new extension authors and to reduce the set of
similar-but-different categories. The current set of extensions has 7
categories , with 5 uncategorized extensions. Next to some I've added
the category that extension could be moved to. Anybody have ideas to
improve this? Additional categories, simplifications, categorizing the
unknown extensions, etc.

Core
	PlayerMigration

Debug
	SqlDebugConsole -> Developers

Developers
	BooScript

Hardware
	AudioCd -> Sources

Sources
	Sample

User Interface
	Lastfm -> Sources
	Bookmarks
	FileSystemQueue -> Sources
	MultimediaKeys
	PlayQueue -> Sources
	Bpm
	Podcasting -> Sources
	InternetRadio -> Sources
	NotificationArea
	CoverArt

required:User Interface
	NowPlaying
	NowPlaying.Clutter

Uncategorized
	MediaWeb
	Template
	Daap -> Sources
	RemoteAudio
	Torrent

Looks like you missed the various extensions for DAPs : Dap, Ipod,
Karma, MassStorage and Mtp. These could go into their own "Digital Media
Player Support" category.

I'd also like to mention the external extensions I know about, with
category suggestions :
Mirage -> Sources
Alarm -> User Interface ?
CovertArtWallpaper-> User Interface
Lyrics -> User Interface ?
Magnatune -> Sources

I think we need a "catch-all" category for extensions that don't quite
fit in any other category. Right now that would be "User Interface", but
then it probably needs another name. Suggestions ?
What about a catory "Other"?
And BTW: I think "Sources" should be named "Data Sources" to not generate too much confusion.

But the idea itself is great :)