Re: [Banshee-List] Standardizing the set of extension categories

On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 14:54 -0800, John Millikin wrote:
> Having a standardized set of extension categories would be useful,
> both as a guide to new extension authors and to reduce the set of
> similar-but-different categories. The current set of extensions has 7
> categories , with 5 uncategorized extensions. Next to some I've added
> the category that extension could be moved to. Anybody have ideas to
> improve this? Additional categories, simplifications, categorizing the
> unknown extensions, etc.
>
> Core
> 	PlayerMigration
>
> Debug
> 	SqlDebugConsole -> Developers
>
> Developers
> 	BooScript
>
> Hardware
> 	AudioCd -> Sources
>
> Sources
> 	Sample
>
> User Interface
> 	Lastfm -> Sources
> 	Bookmarks
> 	FileSystemQueue -> Sources
> 	MultimediaKeys
> 	PlayQueue -> Sources
> 	Bpm
> 	Podcasting -> Sources
> 	InternetRadio -> Sources
> 	NotificationArea
> 	CoverArt
>
> required:User Interface
> 	NowPlaying
> 	NowPlaying.Clutter
>
> Uncategorized
> 	MediaWeb
> 	Template
> 	Daap -> Sources
> 	RemoteAudio
> 	Torrent

Looks like you missed the various extensions for DAPs : Dap, Ipod,
Karma, MassStorage and Mtp. These could go into their own "Digital Media
Player Support" category.

I'd also like to mention the external extensions I know about, with
category suggestions :
Mirage -> Sources
Alarm -> User Interface ?
CovertArtWallpaper-> User Interface
Lyrics -> User Interface ?
Magnatune -> Sources

I think we need a "catch-all" category for extensions that don't quite
fit in any other category. Right now that would be "User Interface", but
then it probably needs another name. Suggestions ?

--
Bertrand Lorentz <bertrand lorentz gmail com>