Re: [Banshee-List] Album Artist & Rhythmbox compatibility.

2009/2/17 James Lewis <james fsck co uk>:
> On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 12:49 -0800, John Millikin wrote:
>> 2009/2/16 James Lewis <james fsck co uk>:
>> >
>> > I've noticed that there's a couple of issues handling "Album Artist",
>> > which somone might be able to explain or perhaps a bug should be logged.
>> >
>> > 1. When ripping a compilation, Banshee doesn't seem to fill in the Album
>> > Artist field, dispite getting the information from MusicBrainz... this
>> > means it creates multiple "album" icons, one for each track which is
>> > very anoying.
>> >

>> What version of Banshee are you using? I believe this was fixed in 1.4.2.
>>
> I am using 1.4.2

Yeah, I think there is still a problem in trunk with ripping compilation albums.

>> > 2. When switching from Rhythmbox, you will find the same problem,
>> > because Rhythmbox stores it's Album Artist data in the ARTISTSORT field,
>> > not ALBUMARTIST.
>> >
>> Sounds like a Rhythmbox bug. I advise re-tagging such corrupted files
>> with Picard, which should fill in the various fields correctly.
>>
> Given that the TPE2 (Orchestra) tag is already supported as a fallback
> for compatibility with WMP which also uses a legacy tag, I don't think
> it's unreasonable to handle this case also, especially since Rhythmbox
> is your No.1 competitor under most Gnome environments.

I don't think we want to parse out those tags, but we can change our
Rhythmbox migrator to migrate the <mb-artistsortname> elements from
/.gnome2/rhythmbox/rhythmdb.xml.  Can you confirm those values are set
appropriate for you?

Did you file bugs for these?  If so, please include the URLs to them
in your reply.

Gabriel