[Banshee-List] One user's ripped songs not playing/importing properly for another user

Okay, I've searched the forum for threads on "permissions" issues.  Didn't
find anything answering my question.  And I think, or at least thought, I
had a problem with permissions: I ripped a CD in my Ubuntu (ext3) partition
(using Banshee), and then rebooted and ran Banshee in my new CrunchBang
(ext4) partition, opening and scanning in a "new" music library (pointing
Banshee at a common /music folder on the harddrive--a big spare ext3 data
partition.).  (Note: My understanding is that ext3 is readable from ext4--so
when I copied the ext3 files onto the ext4 parition, that shouldn't have
created a problem, right?)

At first Banshee (in CrunchBang) didn't import the ripped CD from the common
library during its scan (I couldn't find the songs in Banshee), and then
when I located the newly ripped CD songs on the common library, I manually
copied them into the CrunchBang /music directory (library) and then changed
the owner and permissions for all the song files (:sudo chown -R usrname
music; then :chmod 777 -R music).

I did try to simply open the songs in Banshee (from within CrunchBang), and
they wouldn't play.  When I tried to import the folder into Banshee, the
titles were all there but they were grayed out and I couldn't click on them.

The only thing I could think to do was to re-rip the CD with Banshee in
CrunchBang this time.  Now all is well.  But what the heck was going on?
Why didn't Banshee just want to "take in" the files, which from my
perspective were just ripped into playable files in another /home/user
directory.  Okay, so change ownership and permissions, then what's the
problem?  Why were the files grayed out even though I'd changed permissions
and owner and I should have been able to open and play the newly ripped, and
newly owned, songs in Banshee.

Rather ruefully, this experience has made me appreciate how in Windows, I
just drop a file into iTunes or just click on the song file, and iTunes will
process the file and start playing it.  The song is then assuredly in my
music library, playable and copyable.  Different users can play the songs as
long as they have access to them, say in a shared folder.  Of course,
Windows can't even see my ext3 or ext4 partitions, so all of Windows' work
is simplified by "one" partition, "one" OS, one instance of iTunes, one file
system, one set of permissions (permanent root--like Linux Puppy, which is
nice when working in Puppy too).

Thanks for reading this far!!