Re: [Banshee-List] Porting Rhythmbox Spotify plugin to Banshee or creating my own - how?

/Daniel Holm
http://www.danielholm.se
Sent from Gunnebo, Sweden

2009/8/10 David Nielsen <gnomeuser gmail com>

2009/8/10 Daniel Holm <d holmen gmail com>

Hi all,

Since my last mail about adding a Spotify-plugin became rather quite I start a new one. I have started a project to create a GTK+ based Spotify client, but came to think about perhaps create a own plugin to Banshee instead, or perhaps porting a already created plugin for Rhythmbox to Banshee.

With porting such code please observe if the licences are compatible to avoid problems.

The code in licensed under GPLv2, so it should be fine.

I have never created a plugin and I have no idea how to do it and need some basic help.

One way to go could be to look at what something like the Mirage plugin does, build from there.

I would love to help but Spotify isn't available in Denmark yet and my coding skills are a touch rusty.

You should still be able to get a free account. Jag har ju det i Sverige ;)

The project is at: http://github.com/ivankelly/Rhythmbox-Spotify-Plugin/tree/master
But it seems to be a plugin inside the actual Rhythmbox, not an individual plugin, and it is based on the closed-source libspotify, so perhaps I might start working on my own plugin anyways and base it on Despotify instead.

As I said I started a project for it (ospot.danielholm.se) and will create a Launchpad-page as soon as I give it a name.

But when writing a plugin, does it has to be in Mono, as the main app in this case, or can I use whatever I want?
banshee-list mailing list
banshee-list gnome org