Re: [Banshee-List] Nokia N95 - Transcoding

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 10:16 -0700, wtmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Nokia N95 8GB phone that's also a media player. Happily it gets
> recognized by Banshee and I can manage my music on it (the videos aren't
> seen though). The N95 also supports the AAC audio format but Banshee doesn't
> offer transcoding to that format when I click on the properties: it only
> shows me transcoding to the Waveform-PCM format (which I don't really like).
> Is it possible to activate support for transcoding to AAC for this phone?

Sadly, no.  It's not currently possible for Banshee's GStreamer usage to
create playable mp4 files.  While there's a GStreamer AAC encoder,
there's no working mpeg4 muxer, and it's generally not possible to play
an unmuxed AAC stream - the decoder requires extra information from the
mpeg4 container.

I believe that this year's GSoC included work on a mpeg4 muxer (qtmux),
but I'm not sure how complete it is.  Even if it's complete, it's not
going to be available in Ubuntu 8.04.1.