Re: [Banshee-List] Curious Banshee freeze on startup

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Erik Schmidt <schmitty gmail com> wrote:
> I've got an interesting problem with Banshee and I could use some
> debugging tips...
>
> Last night I was investigating some GUI issues and so I was in a tight
> "change some code; make; make run; quit banshee" loop.  Sometimes it
> was taking a long time to shut down, so I killed the process.  After
> doing this 10-15 times, banshee stopped working.
>
> When I run banshee now, a window pops up, but none of the widgets get
> drawn and it pegs one of my processors at 100%.  It looks like it's
> stuck in a loop doing something other than drawing stuff ;)

Whenever Banshee freezes, the best debugging method (IMO) is to run
'kill -s QUIT $pid' where $pid is the pid of Banshee.  This will cause
mono/Banshee to output the stacktrace for every thread in the app to
stdout, and if you do it more than once and it's stuck in a method you
wouldn't expect, you've found the problem.

Gabriel