Re: [Banshee-List] Speed up Banshee for old PCs?

Gabriel Burt wrote:
> 2008/5/29 Geoff <register waitehere com>:
>> Banshee 0.99 is too slow to use on the old PC that I use as a soundbridge,
>> like 60+ secs between track playback.  I use 0.13 and it's acceptable. (set
>> up is xubuntu on a 300Mhz, 128MB laptop).  0.99 looks really great and I'd
>> like to use it, but as it is it won't work for me.
>>
>> At a guess, I'd say the problem appears to be massive amounts of disk /
>> memory swapping while it searches for the next track - almost as if its
>> stepping through a database stored on disc
>>
>> On the Ubuntu forums, I posted this issue a few weeks ago and was << I think
>> there are plans ahead to reduce the CPU and memory footprint of Banshee when
>> it approaches 1.0. Right now we're still in Beta 1.>> (I've since tried
>> 99.2)
>>
>> Questions:  Is this a known issue?  Will it be fixed?  Is there anything I
>> can do to make 0.99 useable?
>
> Why did you post twice?  You said you tried Beta 2 and still have this issue?
>
> Gabriel
Actually I do notice a rather large CPU spike when changing between
songs. If I flip through multiple songs (click next repeatedly, maybe 5
times in a row) Banshee will hang for an extended period of time before
working again. If that could be fixed I would be very thankful.

Then there's also the searching which spikes the CPU up until I'm done
typing my query. I think there should be a slight timer before you start
searching, so that you don't keep beginning the search before the search
string has been completely typed.

--
Hyperair