[Banshee-List] Interested in contributing to Banshee?

Hello, Banshee Community!  (And potential new members!)

Several times in recent weeks I've communicated over e-mail and IRC
with people interested in contributing to Banshee for the first time -
something we love to see!  The following was my recent reply to one of
these e-mails, and I thought I'd post it here to make it easy to point
other newcomers to.

> I'm interested in helping.  Do you want my help?  How do I get started?

Yes, we would love to have your help.  We are a growing community and
project, and exciting things are afoot.

How you want to contribute is entirely up to you.  Have you got trunk
building/running?  (If not, see
http://banshee-project.org/OnePointEx).  I suggest using MonoDevelop
at least for the first few times you dive into the code, as its
autocomplete and jump-to-declaration features (if you right click on a
class/method) are really helpful.  There is a good diagram (just a
tiny bit out of date) explaining some of the organization of Banshee's
source tree at http://banshee-project.org/Roadmap#organization .

There are a ton of things we need done, covered on the trunk Roadmap
(http://banshee-project.org/Roadmap) and in bugzilla (see link on
http://banshee-project.org/OnePointEx).  As was mentioned on the Alpha
1 release notes, there are quite a few features missing that we had in
stable, so we need to get all of those ported (eg updated to our new
internal APIs).

We also need help writing developer documentation.  MonoDevelop
templates for making new extensions would be great, too.

Make sure you're on our mailing list and have at least skimmed the
recent archives to get a feel for what's going on.  Also, join us on
IRC in #banshee on irc.gnome.org.  Feel free to reply to this e-mail
or ask on IRC when you've identified something to work on so we can
give advice, feedback, and not step on each others' toes.  Please ask
any and all questions, challenge our assumptions, and help us make
Banshee more usable, powerful, and fun.

Welcome to the community!

Gabriel