Re: [Banshee-List] Video but no sound

On 6/11/08, Stephen Holmes <stephen onedotone com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 08:57 +1000, Christopher James Halse Rogers wrote:
>
>  > MPEG 4 audio is also known as AAC, if I remember correctly.
>  > 'gst-inspect0.10 faad' on my system suggests that you should be able to
>  > find a decoder in a gstreamer-plugins-bad package from your package
>  > manager of choice.
>

> Useful tip Christopher, thanks!  I get the following output (below)... I
>  guess the part I'm 'not getting' is (1) Is the encoder to content
>  association made automatically by gtreamer
Yes.  There are a bunch of typefind elements for exactly this purpose.
 Also, Banshee just uses the playbin element, one of Gstreamer's
auto-plugging bins.

>and (2) Is there a way to
>  force/edit/change an association?
Not that I know of.

The sink caps on faad say that it supports audio/mpeg version 4 (and
2, but that's not interesting).  I'm not sure why it wouldn't be
getting autoplugged.

Does running "gst-launch0.10 playbin
uri=file:///path/to/your/file.mp4" play the file correctly?  You can
add the '-v' parameter to make the playbin output what elements it's
using to decode.