Re: [Banshee-List] What can I do to get into the project? I'm purchasing an iPhone...

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 1:46 PM, jimmio92 <johagan12 gmail com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> What can I do to get into the project?
Mailing the list is a good first start :).  There are any number of
things to do; I generally start by finding something that doesn't work
the way I want it to, and then fixing it.  This will involve hunting
around the source to determine what does what I want to fix, and I
find this a good way to get a view of how the code works.  Asking on
IRC (#banshee on gimpnet) about the subsystem you're interested in
will often extract useful information, too.

> Any of this sound do-able? I should probably tell everyone ahead of time I'm
> only 16, but I really want to get involved in a project, especially one that
> allows the use of the iPhone with an awesome audio app like Banshee.

I don't want to discourage you too much, but I understand that the
iPhone is likely to be a frustrating target - from what I've gathered
(which may be out of date) there isn't yet any code to connect
directly to the device; you need to jailbreak it and run an ssh server
on it before anything works.  After that, you need to deal with the
itunesdb file, which is (a) encrypted and (b) gets changed
semi-regularly by Apple for apparently no other reason than to make
your life difficult.  My info is a little out of date; maybe this has
changed.