Re: [Banshee-List] How to find my music?

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 08:37 -0500, Larry Alkoff wrote:
> Thanks for that information Alex.
>
> Is there any way to restrict the import to only my ~/Music directory?
>
> When I did the import there was no way to import from a specific
> directory, only from 'Local Folder', 'Local Files', 'Home Directory' or
> 'Alternate Media Player'.
>
> I selected 'Home Directory' but a lot of extra stuff was picked up from
> file directories that I don't want to have in my playlist.
> Even if I delete the unwanted material in Banshee, the next time I
> import music they will reappear.

You can choose "Local Folder". Banshee will then ask you to select a
folder. Just select you Music directory, and banshee will import
everything under it.

> I also tried changing Edit > Preferences to set the music directory to
> my preference of /home/user/Music but it doesn't seem to be working.
> That is, when I select import it still only gives me the 4 choices below.
>
> There doesn't seem to be any way to drill down to the specific directory
>   wanted.

See above

> Another problem is that I deleted the entire playlist by selecting Edit
>  > Select All and selecting Remove.  But instead of just removing the
> songs, Banshee quits and, when it starts up again, the same 1346 songs
> appear.

This sounds like a bug. See
http://banshee-project.org/contribute/file-bugs/

> Finally, when I start Banshee an error message appears
> "Dbus is not available" and "Unable to open the session message bus".
> Can you tell me what to put in a startup script (probably /etc/rc.local)
> to invoke dbus-launch?  I don't understand the man page at all.
> What does "fix your environment" mean?

I think you'd be better off seeking support through the Kubuntu
channels.

--
Bertrand Lorentz <bertrand lorentz gmail com>