Re: [Banshee-List] moving from sled to suse - mp3 and aac support

Yes, Banshee rocks ;-). It does much more than that too.

You made a good choice choosing your distribution. I'm using openSUSE
10.2 and have support for mp3s. I can't use iPod (I don't even own
one) because I'm using the "official" Banshee and not Novell's one.

I really thought Helix _wasn't: open source. I can be wrong though.
But yes, Helix supports mp3 and iPod. Helix can be found onthe AddOn
CD, or on the DVD. It depends on how you're going to install your
openSUSE. So when installing, be sure to include Addon CD if you're
using the CDs. And when installing, be sure to select Helix-Banshee.

You can get mp3 support to the newer Banshee by getting the
fluendo-GStreamer-plugin. Get it here:
https://shop.fluendo.com/
Do not worry, it's free and it's already compiled. You just have to
extract and copy it to a right directory which would be
/opt/gnome/lib64/gstreamer-0.10 or /opt/gnome/lib/gstreamer-0.10
(depending on if you have 32 or 64-bit system). Remember, that's only
decoder. There's no fluendo-encoder available so you can't put your
mp3s to an iPod for example. I still recommend using Helix-Banshee.

Hopefully you get everything working out-of-the-box without headaches.

--
Joonas 'Juippis' Niilola