[Banshee-List] why can't Banshee write to HFS+ iPods?

It appears that Banshee can't write to an HFS-formatted iPod.  The libipoddevice library reports that any HFS-formatted iPod is not writeable (this check occurs in ipod_device_detect_writeable() in ipod-device.c), and in fact the Banshee release notes say that Banshee includes "HFS+ read-only iPod support".

Why this limitation?  If I disable journaling on my iPod's HFS partition then I'm able to write to the partition from Linux (at least on Ubuntu 7.04) and, indeed, I was able to use gtkpod to remove a song from my iPod.  If I were to change ipod_device_detect_writeable() to report HFS iPods as writeable then would Banshee be able to update them successfully?  And if not, do we expect Banshee to support writing to HFS iPods in the near future?

adam