[Banshee-List] Where is the best place to install gnome-common?

Having to go back and rebuild banshee from CVS on another machine.  I've got the banshee part all figured out, but when it comes to building gnome-common and installing, I think I'm putting the files in the wrong place because the autogen.sh of banshee can't find the *.m4 macros.

I have downloaded gnome-common from CVS.  The package is on my desktop.  When I cd in and ./autogen.sh and make and sudo make install, all goes well, but the banshee side still reports it can't find the macros.  I know that the gnome-common macros are used for other applications, so want to put them where all can find them.

Any suggestions?  A brief walkthrough?  I have tried apt and installed, but they still are not being found.

Sorry for the newb questions, but this is the only way that I have found that banshee can read and import my external drive (160 Gb of mp3, etc.) without hanging.

Thanks and have a good one.

ROger