Re: [Banshee-List] Digital Music Players and Banshee

On 9/20/06, Christopher Halse Rogers <chalserogers gmail com> wrote:
On 9/20/06, Daniel Aleksandersen <stapler bluebottle com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 13:01 +0100, Stephen Holmes wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 13:22 +0200, Daniel Aleksandersen wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have an 20 GB iPod 4G Video + Podcast that does not work to well with
> > > Banshee. So I am thinking of getting a new player soon.
> > >
> > Should work, have you updated to Banshee 0.11 with the new releases of
> > libipoddevice and ipod-sharp?  I also updated my ipod's firmware to v1.2
> > through iTunes 7.  I've a 5th gen video ipod.
> >
> > The supported models can be listed with ipod --model-xml
>
> I have all updates, including the iTunes 7 firmware update. Banshee
> converts and uploads all the music files to my iPod. But when I try to
> play them om the iPod it just start shuffling from track to track
> without actually playing any of them.

I've had this behaviour before, when trying to transcode to AAC rather
than MP3 for the iPod.  Attempting to encode to AAC results in an
unplayable file (due to the lack of an mp4 muxer in GStreamer 0.10),
and the iPod will just fail to play it and move on to the next track.

Before you write off your iPod's support in Banshee, ensure you've got
it set to encode to MP3.  I'm not sure whether Banshee 0.11 even has
the option of encoding to AAC, or whether it's been removed (since it
never worked), but it's probably worth checking :).

I have the same thing happen when ever I try to load songs I bought
via sharpmusique or pymusique, I have never been able to play any of
those on my ipods with out transcoding them to wav and then to mp3.