Re: [Banshee-List] banshee plugins 0.11.2

So amazingly I got things working with a lot of trial and error. I'm posting because maybe this will help someone in the future. Perhaps the problems were because I originally installed banshee from apt, uninstalled it, and started installing from source because I wanted newer versions.  Perhaps that has nothing to do with it.

I noticed I had a banshee directory in both /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib.  For some reason my system (Ubuntu) always wanted to use the one in /usr/local/lib at runtime.  If I compiled with --prefix=/usr it did install into /usr/lib but it always ran the one from /usr/local/lib.  How do I change where the system runs it from? Perhaps ld.so.conf though for some odd reason my system doesn't have that file.  Haven't checked into why yet, maybe an ubuntu thing.

Anyway, the version in /usr/lib had the plugins because I kept using --prefix=usr, but my system always ran the one in /usr/local/lib which explains why I never saw the plugins though they compiled/installed correctly (to the wrong directory).  Weird thing is even with the prefix=/usr option specified when compiling plugins it tried to compile against the one in /usr/local/lib.  This is why the new plugin version 0.11.2 failed to compile.  It was looking for things in /usr/local/lib when indeed they had been compiled in /usr/lib.

Maybe this sounds confusing but the the solution for me was:  dont use --prefix=/usr  (use the default /usr/local).  I would really be interested to know why all of the instructions direct people to use /usr in the first place...

John