Re: [Banshee-List] Running Banshee within GDB

On 11/1/06, Mark Gordon <mtgordon novell com> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 10:15 -0500, Andrew Conkling wrote:
> I'm totally not giving up on debugging Banshee for all it's worth.
> There are a few bugs I've found in Bugzilla that I can easily
> reproduce that don't have BTs. Since I just installed debug packages
> for most of my software, including Banshee, I'd like to get backtraces
> for them.
>
> However, I can't seem to get Banshee to run within gdb. The
> instructions (http://www.mono-project.com/Debugging), chock full of
> useful things to do with gdb, don't indicate how to get started.
> Here's what I've tried with the errors I get:
>
> $ (Trying 3 ways to Sunday, e.g. "gdb banshee")
> (gdb) run
> Starting program:
> No executable file specified.
> Use the "file" or "exec-file" command.
>
> $ gdb mono
> (gdb) run /usr/lib/banshee/banshee.exe
(snip)

> The first makes some sense; the second less so, but all in all, I'm
> just not sure how to get it going. I think it has something to do with
> all that the /usr/bin/banshee script sets up, but I don't know how to
> do that in gdb, and running the shell script directly doesn't work.
>
> Any help would be great; let's target these bugs!
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew

http://banshee-project.org/Debugging has a bunch of tips for getting gdb
to work nicely with banshee.  Most of them are also at mono-project, but
since the banshee instructions can be more specific, there's a better
S/N ratio than in the instructions at mono-project.com

STILL not getting anywhere with this; can someone help?

The instructions must be missing some step, because I can't get it to
work in GDB:

gdb --eval-command=run --args mono --debug
/usr/lib/banshee/banshee.exeGNU gdb 6.4.90-debian
This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db
library "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1".

Starting program: /usr/bin/mono --debug /usr/lib/banshee/banshee.exe
[New Thread -1210698048 (LWP 18116)]
[New Thread -1220015200 (LWP 18119)]
[New Thread -1220097120 (LWP 18120)]
libbanshee
System.DllNotFoundException: libbanshee
 at (wrapper managed-to-native)
Banshee.BansheeEntry:banshee_dbus_compat_thread_init ()
 at Banshee.BansheeEntry.Startup (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in
/build/buildd/banshee-0.11.1/src/Main.cs:51
 at (wrapper delegate-invoke)
System.MulticastDelegate:invoke_void_string[] (string[])
 at Banshee.Gui.CleanRoomStartup.Startup
(Banshee.Gui.StartupInvocationHandler startup, System.String[] args)
[0x00045] in /build/buildd/banshee-0.11.1/src/Banshee.Base/Gui/CleanRoomStartup.cs:54

[Switching to Thread -1210698048 (LWP 18116)]
0xb647c369 in ?? ()
(gdb) mono_backtrace 15
#0internal error in printf_command

I can't figure out how to wrangle with the startup script to get this
working. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Andrew