[Banshee-List] Genre, while missing, is too limited anyway

I've read a few comments about Genre (or rather a general dislike for it). Personally, I've never been happy with Genre (first using it in iTunes) but it was a very nice way (if very weak way) to add another level of grouping to the tracks in my library. If you have a couple hundred songs or less... heck, maybe even 1 thousand, you may find such things simply not necessary. However, once you top 5000 songs it can get overwhelming. I regularly run across stuff I'd forgotten I had.

What I'd like to see, instead of Genre support, is for more media players like Banshee (and also iTunes as it's the best player for me when at the office stuck on Windows) to support Tagging instead. Tagging has already proven so useful with email (gmail) and Tomboy (recent addition) and delicious... and certainly plenty of other places. I'd love to be able to multiply tag different tracks to correspond with genres, moods, whatever I can think of. I'd love to be able to easily search for music to match my mood with very little effort as my music library continues to grow.

So, it's my vote that Banshee use something like leaftag (like someone did with Tomboy) to allow more detailed tagging of my files. I think that would be seriously awesome. I suppose it would be possible to implement this as a plugin? Most of the plugins I've looked at add a widget at the left (like Radio or MP3Tunes Locker or iTunes) plugins. Even the recommendations plugin uses it's own window it pops up at the bottom. Can a plugin add functionality to the main view (like adding a column for tagging)? How might this interface be implemented? (That is, if anyone else even finds this kind of thing interesting).

Matt Philmon