Re: [Banshee-List] Smart Playlist plugin

I don't know a great deal about it, but I'd have thought that one good
way to go about doing this would be to implement smart playlists as
views in the database. That way, you don't need to worry about changes
to the track data, and smart playlists themselves don't take up any
space (other than the space to store the view definition, which is
peanuts).

If you have a decent data model and sensible indexing, it will be very
fast and changes will take effect immediately.

Note that this also makes it relatively easy to create chained smart
playlists such that iTunes can do: you can use the presence (or not) of
a song in one playlist as criteria for another.

I'm by no means an expert on sqlite, but views created for use as smart
playlists could be stored in a different 'database' to the core banshee
tables, to avoid name clashes.